07 April 2006
A Tribute....
It was New Year's eve 7 years ago. I was sleeping in, as usual, but not in my own bed. My Mom had woken me up early that morning again, and for reasons only she knows. I grumpily trotted into her room and plopped myself onto her bed and was fast in snoozeland again, and so, that was how I ended up in her bed. The next thing I knew, I felt this soft, fluffy thing on me and I jumped out of bed in excitement. My parents had brought home what I had always wished for since I was a kid. And it took me 15 years to earn my way through to getting it. That was the first time I set my eyes on Tuffy, who would in a few days, totally steal my heart and make him the first love of my life.




Tuffy was so scared the first few days that he was home. I don't blame him though. Must have been pretty hard for him to be in unfamiliar surroundings. But he got adjusted fast, with all the attention that he received from everyone at home. He was basically the life of the house. To us, it felt like as if we had just adopted a kid and treated him that way as well. We trained him, day and night all by ourselves and though it did take some time and lots of patience, I'd say that was when the bond between us grew. I still remember vividly at how overjoyed we all were the first time he barked, his first hand - OK I mean paw-shake and the first time he responded to his name. Those were just moments of bliss.



Tuffy loved to go on car rides. The second we told him "let's go" he'd get super excited and run straight out of the door and stand in front of the car. And if we even took a few minutes to get out of the house he would come running in jumping on us impatiently. Tuffy also had an array of toys, and like a child he had his favorites. There were a few soft toys that weren't in his basket. But him being the kid that he was proclaimed ownership to every soft toy that came into the house. There were a couple of soft toys that were kept as showpieces on top of the TV. He knew that those were not for him. But every now and then he would look up at them demanding to have them in his mouth. And he wouldn't give up till he got them, even if it was for just a few minutes. What a little brat!



Exactly a month ago from today, on the 7th of March, I received a phone call from home that just shattered me. My dad gingerly broke the news that Tuffy had met with an accident that morning. And didn't survive. I was shocked! The first thought that came to my mind was that my parents were just playing a very rude joke on me. But when my dad broke down and started crying, I knew that he wasn't. It was just so unbelievable! Only a couple of days ago had I seen him through the webcam and he was the normal little bubbly puppy of mine who used to take up all the space on my bed leaving me to squeeze in the corner and even sometimes stealing half my pillow! And now he was gone... Forever... It was so difficult to accept the fact that I will never ever see him again. To me, 7 wonderful years with him just wasn't enough. And I guess neither would a whole life time be enough. There's nothing much I can do now except for thanking God for giving me the wonderful opportunity to spend a few years of my life with this wonderful loving soul and my wish is for Tuffy to rest in peace in the arms of the Lord, and I hope he never has to come back to Earth again. We all love u, Tuffy....


After Tuffy's death, we held special prayers in his memory. About a week and a half after his death, my parents held the Asa Di Vaar prayers at home, where Alahniya was read and the final pages of the "sehaj path" that was kept in Tuffy's honor was also read. An ardaas was done thereafter and the hukamnama after that is as follows:

Todee, Fifth Mehla, Fifth House, Du-Padas
todee mehlaa 5 ghar 5 dupday

One Continuous God, Eternal, True, Divine Enlightener, Merciful, Guru’s Grace.
ik-oNkaar satgur parsaad

Such is the blessing my God has bestowed upon me.
aiso gun mayro parabh jee keen.

He has totally banished the five evils and the illness of egotism from my body. Pause
panch dokh ar ahaN rog ih tan tay sagal door keen. rahaa-o

Breaking my bonds, and releasing me from vice and corruption, He has enshrined the Word of the Guru's Shabad within my heart.
banDhan tor chhor bikhi-aa tay gur ko sabad mayrai hee-arai deen.

The Lord has not considered my beauty or ugliness; instead, He has held me with love. I am drenched with His Love. 1
roop anroop moro kachh na beechaari-o paraym gahi-o mohi har rang bheen. 1

I behold my Beloved, now that the curtain has been torn away. My mind is happy, pleased and satisfied.
paykhi-o laalan paat beech kho-ay anad chitaa harkhay pateen.

My house is His; He is my God. Nanak is obedient to His Lord and Master. 2120
tis hee ko garihu so-ee parabh naanak so thaakur tis hee ko Dheen. 2120



 
posted by Arina at 11:23 PM ¤ Permalink ¤


3 Comments:


  • At 23:32, Blogger DP

    Rina, I can fully relate to what you just went through. I had Debbie for only 2+ years and until today we can't get over her absence. You've had Tuffy way longer than that. No other dog can replace what we've lost...

     
  • At 22:07, Blogger Arina

    Hey DP... I agree that nothing will ever be able to replace Debbie or Tuffy. But I guess I need to talk about it, and share my feelings coz I still find it difficult to beleive... and God willing, I'll be able to remain calm and accept his death. And its nice to know that people understand how it is to lose a puppy. Thanx DP

     
  • At 17:10, Blogger Arina

    Thanks gene... Its still difficult till now... n its alredi 3 months. I guess it'll not be easy even 20 years down the road. He was my life...

     


hits